Friday, July 25, 2008

Pray that we make our children proud


We had a glorious day on Thursday, July 24th. Ruth and I, together with Bishop Sylvestre and Eva Romero, our volunteers (including Fr. Joe and Jan Parrish), our stewards (including Allie Graham) and 1200 others all took part in a day in London. Early in the morning we assembled all throughout the campus and were all loaded onto buses. In remarkably good order we were transported to London, where we arrived in plenty of time for the Walk for Witness.

This walk was designed to demonstrate our Communion's commitment to the Millennium Development Goals of the United Nations and to raise awareness that, with respect to most (if not all) of the target dates set for the realization of each of the eight goals, we are falling seriously behind schedule. A special session of the United Nations has been called for September 25th to address these concerns.

And so we marched from Whitehall, past the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey, across the Lambeth Bridge until we arrived at Lambeth Palace. It was a beautiful, if warm day. The 600+ bishops were vested in purple (or magenta) cassocks. The spouses, volunteers, stewards and others were dressed in their own smart outfits as well. We carried placards that pointed to the promise of the MDGs to, for example, Halve Poverty by 2015. There seemed to be a fair amount of news coverage. We smiled and greeted those around us and took our own photographs by the thousands.

And we sang. At one point we sang, Siyahamba ("We are Marching in the Light of God"), with South Africans. Along another stretch we sang, Tu Has Venido a La Orilla ("Lord, You Have Come to the Lakeshore"). It was wonderfully empowering to sing together as we marched.

When we all were gathered at Lambeth Palace, the Archbishop of Canterbury welcomed us and spoke about the importance of bearing witness to the compassion of God through our work on the MDGs and to the justice of God by calling upon our governments to meet the promises made at the time of the adoption of the MDGs.

He then called upon Gordon Brown, the Prime Minister, who addressed the assembly with a great passion, great command of the MDGs — the promise of them and the lack of progress toward them — and without a single note. His talk and the witness of his own commitment were very inspiring. Helen Wangusa, the Anglican Observer to the United Nations, gave a very fine response to Mr. Brown's remarks.

After lunch we were taken to Buckingham Palace where we had the privilege — all 1200+ of us — of strolling around the gardens, listening to two different military bands and observing Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip greet and welcome various bishops, spouses and ecumenical guests. Tea was served and a good time was had by all.

But the overall impact of the day lay with the morning March. It made me think again about our diocese's commitment to the MDGs and the larger picture. It made me proud to be part of a Church and a Diocese and a household that have committed to give in support of the MDGs. It made me pray for the grace of God for myself, that I might become a more creative and effective leader so that our Diocese might be a true friend and advocate for poor people in New Jersey and the world.

I have learned another song since we have been here. Thuma Mina ("Send me, Jesus") comes from South Africa and it has these simple, but deeply moving words:

Send me, Jesus; send me, Jesus; send me Jesus; send me, Lord.
I am willing; I am willing; I am willing; willing, Lord.

I want to sing this song with you. I want to live these words with you. I want to march and work and pray and sacrifice with you, that the world may know that Jesus is Lord and that we may see His reign begun here and now.

As we walked along yesterday I gave thanks, once again, for the enormous privilege of being here and of being a bishop in this Church and in this Communion. And I had one other thought: my children would be proud of us for doing this. Pray that we may strive together for justice and peace and make our children proud.

Faithfully yours in Christ,

+George

(See photos of the day here.)